The past and the present
The JU Faculty of Philology emerged as a university unit in 1951, after the division of the Faculty of Humanities, which had existed only for five years. Yet, the subjects studied at the faculty have been long present at the Faculty of philosophy and their origins often date back to several hundred years ago.
The Faculty has existed in the present form since 2005 when the Institute of Polish Studies was separated from it.
The Faculty consists of ten units: the Institute of English Studies, the Institute of German Studies, the Institute of Classics, the Institute of Romance Studies, the Institute of Slavonic Studies, the Institute of East Slavonic Studies (separated from the former in the 2nd half of 20th century, the Institute of Oriental Studies, the Institute of Linguistics, Translation and Hungarian Studies.
The main buildings of the Faculty of Philology are located in Mickiewicza and Ingardena streets.
Prof. Władysław Witalisz is the present Dean of the Faculty of Philology.
The Dean's Office is located on the first floor of the JU Collegium Novum building at ul Gołębia 24.